Sunday, March 28, 2010

Helen Keller inspired me to Believe in Miracles

When I was about 11, I first saw the movie about Helen Keller's life. It changed me in so many ways and had such an impact on my heart that I never forgot this inspiring woman or the movie. Later, I read the book and had to read it again. It was riveting, heart wrenching, inspiring and motivated me to seek understanding about people who overcome tumultuous obstacles in their lives. I felt a need to be like Helen Keller. That was a little perplexing to me at first because I was not blind, deaf or dumb like Helen. But I had some emotional and physical handicaps that I thought would limit me in life. It was only later that I learned those obstacles were opportunities that would help mold me into the person I was destined to become.

Thank you Helen Keller for living such an inspired life. Your work with braille and sign language has helped so many people. For those who do not know about Helen Keller's life and accomplishments, I suggest that you research her name on the internet. Find a book at Barnes & Noble or Amazon and read it carefully and with great introspection. Then read it again while you ponder your life and consider how Helen Keller could help you overcome the obstacles in your life and exceed all your expectations in becoming the best person that you can be. If you haven't watched the movie, I especially recommend that you rent it and watch it with a box of tissues. You will need them because Helen will make you laugh, cry and stir some anger and frustration while she struggles to understand life.
Most of all, I hope this woman's life will inspire and encourage you to be more empathetic towards others every day in all your interactions with people. If we follow Helen Keller's admonition, this world would be a better place. Pass this information on to someone that you love so it might inspire them as well.

There is a Helen Keller Institute for the deaf, dumb and blind that has helped thousands born with these limitations. My own cousin Donnie spent several years learning to speak and sign. He had several operations to give him some audible capability and with the assistance of an implant Donnie could hear sounds for the first time at age 15. He learned to speak later as well and became quite a comedian. Thank you Helen Keller for all of us. Your life came close to home.

The Midnight Writer

No comments: